- What is the problem with your housing?
- Establish the type of tenancy **
- What type of accommodation do you have? (e.g. rented house, room in shared house etc.)
- When did you move in?
- Who is the landlord?
- Does your landlord live in the same property?
- In whose name(s) is the agreement?
- What rent, if any, is paid?
- Have you got a written agreement, letters, receipts for rent/deposit? (If you have tenancy, is it fixed term)
- Does the accommodation come with a job?
- Did you pay a deposit and is it protected under the tenancy deposit regulations?
- Do you have any dependent children living with you?
- Do you share accommodation with anyone who isn’t in your household?
- Are you receiving housing benefit, or have you applied for it?
- Check what type of tenancy the client has**
- Have you received a possession notice or a notice to quit?
- What is the reason you are being asked to leave?
- Is there a discrimination issue? (i.e. are you being evicted because of a protected characteristic?)
- Have you received any notices/letters from landlord or court? What is it called (e.g. Section 21 Notice)
- What is the date you are required to leave the property?
- Is there a date for a court hearing?
- Has it already taken place and what was the outcome?
- Have you received a ‘warrant’ or notice of eviction letter from the court?
- When are the bailiffs due to come?
- Do you have anywhere to go?
- Can you do anything to persuade the landlord to allow you to stay (e.g. offer to pay something towards the rent arrears)
- Have you approached the Council for help as threatened with homelessness?
**Use the Shelter tenancy checker to establish housing status