What is an Adviser?
An adviser works with the client to explore their problem and identify the client’s goals. The next phase of advice giving involves researching the issues in order to present facts and information that enable the client to make informed decisions about their options. Advisers deliver advice under guidance and supervision of our specialist supervisors.
What’s in it for you?
- The stimulation and sense of satisfaction that comes from helping people to address a wide range of problems
- Becoming a part of a friendly and dedicated team
- Meeting people from all walks of life and making new friends
- Using existing skills and developing new ones
- Enjoying new experiences
- Learning something new every day
- Supporting your local community
- Be treated equally and receive great free training
We will train you to…
- Interview clients letting the them explain their enquiry and helping the client to set priorities
- Research and pass on the relevant information and explore options and implications so that the client can come to a decision
- Act, where necessary, on behalf of the client, negotiating, drafting or writing letters or making appropriate referrals
- Complete clear and accurate case records
- Work out the root causes of problems and take part in taking appropriate action
- Keep up to date on important issues by attending the appropriate training and by essential reading
This role will suit?
Over 18’s who have good communication, maths and IT skills who will need to:
- Commit to the Aims and Principles of the Citizens Advice service and respect views, values and cultures that are different from their own
- Understand why confidentiality is important
- Be open and approachable
- Show an ability to work as part of a team and recognise their own limits and boundaries as well as having a positive attitude to self-development and assessment
- Sift through information and extract what is relevant
Place: Yeovil, Chard and Wincanton
Time: Preferably two or more 4-hour sessions per week but can be flexible.
Who to contact: June Carty. Telephone 01935 847675 or email June@citizensadvicesouthsomerset.org.uk
Training: Training is free and is a mixture of self-study, observing others, hands-on experince and workshop activities.
Expenses: Out-of-pocket costs between home and the local office will be paid.
This role is purely voluntary and this arrangement is not meant to be a legally binding one or an employment contract.